Trending News|February 09, 2015 11:32 EST
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Fight News 2015: Bob Arum's Public Comments Preventing Fight
Ever since talks of the potential mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Manny Pacquiao regained traction early this year, Top Rank head honcho Bob Arum has made a lot of pronouncements saying that a fight is close to being made. It appears, though, that none of them have been true.
Recently, Arum told the Associated Press that Showtime and HBO were finalizing a deal that would take care of the vital TV broadcasting issues surrounding the fight the world has been waiting on for five years.
"We had four issues and we resolved two. Now, we're working on resolving the other two. Unless something else comes up at the last minute, that's what my take is," Arum told AP sports columnist Tim Dahlberg.
Almost immediately, the news was vehemently denied by all sides of the negotiations, Yahoo Sports reports.
"Believe me, if the fight doesn't get done, it will be because of Bob Arum. Nobody can figure what he is doing or why he's doing it," a source close to the situation told Yahoo Sports.
"Everybody is doing the right thing. We're looking to complete the paperwork. Everything is moving in the right direction. Hopefully, the next couple of days, it will get done," Arum was quoted in a January 30 story in the New York Post.
Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports reports that Top Rank president Todd duBoef, Arum's step-son, is irate at Arum, but has virtually given up on trying to reign in his step-father's public pronouncements.
Almost everyone with an official capacity was not willing to speak on the record, apart from denying that a TV deal had been made, and collectively discounting Arum's comments that a fight announcement was imminent, according to Yahoo Sports.
Mayweather posted a photo of him and Pacquiao in the Filipino's hotel room in Miami, writing, "I set up this meeting with Manny Pacquiao to get this fight done but they will continue to tell the public it's us and that's NOT TRUE."